Come Try Sustainable Living
Community-living with only a couple of households
Community-living provides the benefits of multi-generational skills and wisdom to successfully Grow our own fruit & vegetables, DIY [making & fixing things], living sustainably, biodynamic gardening – Perth hills lifestyle.
Community-living with 1 maybe 2 other households involves sharing the large yard, garden, rainwater, solar PV & 23kw battery. Located only 6km to Midland train with adequate bus service. The layout preserves the large yard, the environment, trees, birdlife, even the occasional visits by kangaroos on the cul-de-sac. Inspired by Ecodorp Boekel-sdg10 and their vision style 🙂 which is a grand scale project in comparison. We plan to live in a similar way, without any outside funding. So we are looking for residents who are very committed to contributing time and effort to this lifestyle, as described on the links to Boekel’s website and below
Single person/couple Rental Opportunity is Available in May, 2023
In the brand new strawbale living room extension to the GARDEN FLAT partly furnished [own bedroom furniture welcome or can be supplied] & gardens:– 1×1, which has a stable rent of $350/week for a very careful, clean mature person/couple 70m2, lots of double-glazed argon-filled windows & double glass doors for winter sun, top quality roof insulation, Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme* Certificate Number: OILOFDKB01 Date of Certificate: 4 Feb 2020
NHERS Energy Star rating: 7.7 / 10
Please Email to tell us about yourself and what you’re looking for in your lifestyle and your community lifestyle experience in the Email after you’ve read all the information, please.
Please write about what attracts you to the community lifestyle, and how you see yourselves participating, what handyperson skills?
Have a look at sustainable development goals (SDGs) exemplified in Boekel Ecodorp’s own project to see our future vision for the place and hopefully in the future, we can purchase a neighbouring property, when they want to sell, and grow into a village… What if another dream came true?
Imagine only travelling 30km to Perth city and returning to a daily experience of wildlife, flowers and National Park winter creek waterfalls…fresh fruit & vege at a fully self-sustainable property 300m from Greenmount Hills National Parks. The Midland train is 6km by bus/car and only takes 25 minutes – quicker than Fremantle and Joondalup to Perth !
Imagine having NO surprise bills, other than your car. Not worrying about prices of fruit & vegetables or lack of availability
Community-living means that the occupants of the property need to invest a total average of 5 hours/week collaboratively working on jobs that are part of the self-sufficiency project, in addition to looking after the gardens and houses in self-sufficient ‘own-home’ ways See how it works in the larger established project.
- EcoDorp Boekel also ask interested people to spend 8 hours/ week volunteering in tasks before being considered as a resident, thereby ‘in-residence’ members gain reassurance of the prospects’ compatibility and commitment to the community lifestyle and guiding principles. You find out if this is where you want to settle into this shared garden with a 40 year old woman with 2 beautiful youngish school-aged children.
Of course I am lucky and old enough to have experienced what it means to be part of the hills community where people in the whole Shire gather together and support each other with community spirit not just when there’s a bushfire or flood … to build what is now known as Social Capital.
Please Email to tell me about yourself and what you’re looking for in your lifestyle and your relevant experience – in the Email after you’ve read all the information, please.
Sustainable Focus Self-sufficient Community-living
The property has already maximised solar passive benefits and lowest impact on the environment. This includes aesthetics which blend into the surroundings so that neighbours would barely see the building – something you’d never find in a rental in the greater Perth area.
- An Aerobic Treatment Unit [ATU] to suit the community’s requirements provides reticulation to fruit trees & grapevines planted around the property. Of course no oils, fats or sanitary things can go down drain, like all septic systems.
- Fire retardant trees, vines and sustainable building materials are preferred, although shadecloth is still used while vegetation grows.
- Rainwater tanks have supplied the dwellings, vege gardens and all other vegetation on this 1452m2 green block for over 6 years.
- Solar PV and battery storage has met all the house needs for nearly 2 years now. Good as off-grid, but still connected for summer 7c credits exchange for grid consumption in the dead of winter when heating exceeds sunshine – due to built up credit in summer – if you use shadecloth rather than excessive a/c !
Only a few minute’s walk to Greenmount National Park, about 17 mins walk to buses or 6 km drive to Midland train station.
More information and lots of photos/videos of building the flat living area on https://www.facebook.com/SustainableCohousingLifestyle and Sustainable Development Goals. The ‘not old but mature’ owner is passionate about sustainable Community-living and acquired the property in 2013 to provide affordable, shared accommodation to women during the rental crisis. She also previously provided affordable accommodation to all people via Air BnB, but looking to settle with more permanent rental residents in the available spaces.
Yes, I’m looking for the right people to possibly eventually buy in and share this property which is 1,453 ㎡, with 153,300 litres of rainwater collected each winter.
Initially, the co-house-mates rent while we all work together modifying and adapting agreements created by other small communities.
The most commonly preferred decision-making style is to work together like a Cooperative, and the Company could become the sole owner [which happens to suit the Shire’s ownership requirements of the block].
The most time and cost-effective way that purchase could begin is via buying shares in the ‘Company P/L’ that is already set up.
There is also the possibility of using the Co-housing Model which most commonly is based upon ‘Tenants in Common’ regulations. More information on this model can found at Cohousing Australia Group Forum
Imagine waking to bird chorus,
- showering in rainwater, drinking pure filtered rainwater,
- using solar PV’s and home battery storage system,
- growing more vegetables, fruit and
- daily wildflower & bushwalks while living only 30 km from Perth CBD in the relaxed Hills community lifestyle
Please tell me about yourselves and what you’re looking for in your lifestyle and your relevant experience in Email
Community Living Future Opportunities
- There is potential for 3 households to live on this property, but the third unit [parent’s retreat] needs development to achieve own upstairs private kitchen and living areas.
- The most commonly preferred next step is to rent for a period while possibly developing an Agreement & method to buy into the 3 x 1 house. It is fine to remain as a rental tenant who treats the property like it was their own in cooperation with all other community members living on the property. This is true ‘social’ housing.
- More information on the Community-Living models of ownership can begin at Cohousing Groups Australia based upon a Co-housing Model. Information and support links for the Cooperative and other models can begin at https://www.ecodorpboekel.nl/met-de-stroom-mee/ with more info about smaller privately-owned projects at https://buildingcommunity.nl/projecten/.
Please click on https://broadening-horizons.com.au/community-living/